We're so cool, it hurts.

Tuesday, October 28, 2003

Hey hey...just got back from my Lit 1 section...we're reading this play called "Angels in America" and it kinda crams a load of social issues into this short play. So today in section, my TA decided that we would listen to "We Didn't Start the Fire" (Billy Joel for those who have no idea what i'm talking about) because it does sort of a similar thing (He takes each year of his life and identifies the major political events/people and pop culture icons from 1949-89). She had us listen to it twice, write down as many of the references as we could, and then identify/define them.

I have to say that the first thing I thought of when she said we were going to do this was going over to Katie's place one time and she told me she knew the song by heart and I listened to her do it while Gina made fun of her because I guess Katie already did it for her a few days before. The memory brought warm fuzzies to my heart. I miss you guys.

Anyway, I also realized that even though I recognize a lot of the references, I couldn't define a lot of them, so I went poking around online and found this website a bunch of German kids made with simplistic and sometimes plagarized definitions of each reference in the song. I thought it was really interesting. Here it is if anyone else is interested:

http://uploader.wuerzburg.de/gym-fkg/schule/fachber/englisch/joel/songtext.html

My assignment for next section is to come up with a couple of significant events that I remember clearly from my lifetime up to now. Hmmm...

Just wanted to say good job again to everyone for keeping up the blog, I really really enjoy hearing about what everyone is up to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home